Saturday, December 28, 2019

The End of Ice by Dahr Jamail

The End of Ice by Dahr Jamail

The dedication of this book reads, “This book is dedicated to the future generations of all species. know that there were many of us who did what we could.”

I found this book very fitting to read after The Unihabitable Earth by David Wallace-Wells because after knowledge comes grief. The author takes us from the Arctic to the Amazon to the Everglades and tells us what is already happening and what is most likely to happen within our own and our children’s lifetime. I challenge anyone to read this book with the wrenching grief of what is being lost. 

The last paragraph of the Conclusion:
“While Western colonialist culture believes in ‘rights,’ Indigenous cultures teach of ‘obligations’ that we are born into: obligations to those who came before, to those who come after, and to the Earth itself. When I orient myself around the question ‘what are my obligations,’ the deeper question immediately arises: ‘From this moment on, knowing what is happening to the planet, to what do I devote my life?’”

No comments: