Monday, February 15, 2010

The Olympics

It seems like a waste of time and money to me. But then I've never been any good at sports and not interested in watching them either. I don't understand why someone would spend years and years of their lives on an activity that 3 people in the entire world every four years get a medal for. The rest of the competitors get nada; OK maybe they get to teach skiing or skating to a bunch of snotty kids for a living but really all that time and effort and money to teach at the local ice rink?? Then there are the injuries not just the injuries during the Olympics which are widely publicized but all the life altering injuries that don't get publicized in the years of training. Finally, I don't really admire people who are so totally focused on themselves which I suppose you would have to be to beat out everyone else in the world every fourth year. Not my cup of tea. Just my opinion, everyone else seems glued to their televisions.

5 comments:

Grace. said...

LOL--count me among those watching the games! You mean to say you never wanted to wear a skimpy costume and glide around the ice, looking every bit the princess? Tsk. Tsk.

Florence said...

My dear daughter was an ice skater for many years. I know all too well the cost in time, money, and relationships. I also know all too well the mean spiritedness that goes on behind the scenes. Kind of spoiled the whole thing for me.

Tamara said...

I love love love watching the downhill skiing! I'm amazed at their skill and speed (and it looks like great fun!)

Anonymous said...

I've always considered the Olympics an alternative to countries waging war against each other. What would you rather have? Countries duking it out on a ski slope, swimming pool or skating ring? Or killing each other with bombs and guns on a battlefield?

I'd rather have men and women train to be athletes than soldiers.

The Olympics are a world wide event where all the counties on the planet join together and assemble to watch the games, compete and respect each other.

What's so bad about that? Surely you don't think that is a waste of time and money?

PS: plus it's so peaceful to watch the ice skaters. I like them the best.

sewa mobil said...

nice information
i really like it
it is very usefull for me
thanks.