Wednesday, September 9, 2009

One more thing

In discussing end of life decisions, I forgot to mention the importance of Long Term Care insurance. The lack of LTC insurance can leave the surviving partner in a marriage destitute, usually the wife. This is simply because wives tend to live longer. With no LTC insurance and a husband needing LTC, all assets are eaten up leaving the wife old, alone, and destitute. Husbands, if you love your wife, get a good LTC policy and wrap it up as a present--it's the best present you could get.

I was fortunate to be able to get LTC insurance without a physical through my employer; with a progressive neuromuscular disease, I would have been laughed out of any other means of obtaining it. I was able to get my husband a policy at the same time. The really good thing is that I am able to continue the insurance at the same rate after I leave my employer.

No comments: