Sunday, April 15, 2018

Around OakMeadows

Duffy helps piece the Scrap 9-Patch Quilt top 

Around OakMeadows

We received our vote by mail ballots for the Democratic primary runoff.  How I love vote by mail!  Texas only allows a few categories of people to vote by mail but fortunately for us, those over 65 can.  I knew who we would be voting for in the runoff for Congressman and for Governor but I had not done any research on the Texas state Senate position. As far as I could tell, either of the women would be fine but I ended up choosing the women who mentioned her activism with Planned Parenthood.  Onward, to the Midterms in November.  

I’m making steady progress on my Scrap 9-Patch Quilt top. I have the 25 9-Patches made and pressed.  Next to cut out the strips for the lattice. I may need to buy some muslin for it but I will first use up the pieces of muslin that I already have.  Honestly, it seems that I haven’t made a dent in my fabric stash bin. 

We are going to the lower Rio Grande Valley Monday and Tuesday to the National Butterfly Center in Mission, TX and then to the Botanical Garden in Corpus Christi. I want to see the Butterfly Center one more time before it is bisected by that monstrosity of a wall which that horrid man in the White House is having built.  

I have several good books going right now.  JMM and I are reading aloud to each other Grant by Ron Chernow. It is excellent but since we only read 5 pages a day, it is taking a loooooong time to get through it.  From the library I have Adventures among Ants by Mike Moffett. So interesting. Makes me want to dig out my magnifying glass and go watch ants.  

It is a cool, breezy, sunshiny day today. Spring seems to be here for certain.  The barn swallows are nesting and I’ve seen a couple of hummingbirds and the first batch of Monarch caterpillars are chowing down on the milkweed that JMM has planted.  

2 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

It is great that the seniors can vote by mail. It am sickened by this wall, what a waste of money. I wish I could visit the Butterfly Center and the Rio Grande Valley. Enjoy your day!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Oregon is all 'vote by mail' and we love it. I am heartsick about the Butterfly Center (I think I told you before that we'd stayed for a few weeks in that RV Park near it and visited frequently). I keep hoping that the WH will implode before a lot of these proposals come to fruition -- but I am prepared for the worst.