Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Around OakMeadows



Around OakMeadows 

Once each month JMM and I meet his brother Paul and his wife Wendy and his sister Bonnie and her husband Charles for lunch. It is always fun (as long as we stay away from religion and politics). Today as Paul and Wendy were on their way to the restaurant, a big tire flew off the big truck ahead of them and the tire hit them head on. The airbags deployed and while Paul wasn’t hurt, Wendy’s arm was injured and the dust and shock triggered her COPD. They took her to the ER where X-rays showed that her arm was not broken and with oxygen and inhalers, she was able to go home.  She is going to be very sore for a few days but it could have been so much worse. 

We have been having what I consider near perfect weather for a week now. Clear skies lows mid 50s and highs mid 70s. I told JMM to remind me of this when I am griping about Houston weather next summer.  Actually, we could use a little rain. We planted our 2017 tree (a 6 foot oak that was on sale at Houston Garden Center) a few weeks ago and it has needed to be watered several times.  

Butterflies are still abundant. Monarchs, Queens, and Gulf Fritillaries predominantly. Lots of Skippers too. Birds are the usual mockingbirds and cardinals but we did see the Eastern Phoebe, Tufted Titmouse, and Chickadee. We are planning a trip to Corpus Christi and then on down to the Rio Grande Valley so we should be seeing lots more birds and butterflies.  

I’m currently reading Beartown by Fredrick Backman. I have mixed feelings about it because while I have no interest in sports, it is so well written and the characters so well drawn that I don’t want to stop and not finish it. I’m about 1/3 of the way into it and will let you know more when I finish it. 

We had a quiet Thanksgiving. JMM did 90% of the cooking. I’d rather go to a restaurant and not deal with it. But since he does the work, I don’t insist.  Speaking of holidays, I have put up my winter decorations and requested an experience rather than a gift.  You would think that after 49 years of marriage, it would be clear by now that I hate, hate, hate being asked what I want for Christmas.  I listed once again some places we could go and things to do.  My best Christmas ever was the year we went to Las Vegas. We ate out and saw shows and I thoroughly loved it. 

The nightmare in Washington goes on with Taxscam, the pillaging of the environment, and wars in more countries. I continue my resistance and hope for better days in 2018. 

1 comment:

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I am glad your BIL and his wife escaped without being hurt too much. Sending my prayers and get well wishes. It is awesome you are still seeing butterflies. The trip to the Rio Grande Valley would be awesome, I know the birders love going there. I should put that spot on my want to visit list. I am with you on Christmas presents, an experience and trip sounds wonderful to me. Happy Wednesday, enjoy your day!