Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Around Oak Meadows


I am now officially ready for spring. We have had weeks of cold (for us), wet, gray days. And as JMM said yesterday, "August doesn't seem so bad now..."

I am quilting away on the monster quilt and have 5 of the 56 blocks quilted. I will have to take a bread from the monster quilet though because my nephew and his wife are expecting their first baby and of course, this gives me an excuse to put the monster away and do a sweet baby quilt.

I have 3 really good books going now: Wartime Britain by Juliet Gardiner, The Romanov Sisters by Helen Rappaport, and a new Bruno, Chief of Police mystery: The Devils Cave by Martin Walker.

I still haven't figure out why I can't post photos here on the blog.  I am thinking about setting up my own website for the blog but we shall see on that.

JMM has been wanting to learn how to bake bread for over a year and I am no help and not interested.  It is all I can do to keep up with the daily meals.  Well, our daughter gave him a book on bread making where you bake it in a cast iron pot with a lid.  And she gave him the cast iron pot to make it in.  So yesterday he started the dough rising and let it rise over night.  Then this morning he did the second rising and baked it in the pot according to the directions in the book. I do so wish that I could post a picture because it really is a beautiful loaf.  And it really is delicious too.

We are going to the Houston Museum of Fine Art to see the Monet and the Seine exhibit. I'm looking forward to it.

Lots of birds at the feeders in this cold miserable weather: Cardinals, Titmouses, Eastern Phoebe, Bluejays, Doves (both collared and an occasional white-winged) and, of course, our darling goldfinches.

Hope everyone stays warm and well.


1 comment:

Hootin Anni said...

Exactly how I feel!!! I'm tired of this gray drab, wet and soggy times we're having.

Need some sunshine.

And yep, August doesn't look so bad now. I agree.