Saturday, May 9, 2009

Star Trek

While I have never been interested in reading science fiction, I was an early watcher of the original Star Trek television series. It seemed that there was purpose and future in exploration of the unknown. Then there was Star Trek: The Next Generation which I thought was every bit as good and thoroughly enjoyed. However, the Star Trek movies were mostly stupid and forgetable attempts to take the old Star Trek, dress it up a bit with special effects, make it longer, and pass it off as a movie. So I was rather skeptical when I heard that there would be a new Star Trek movie coming out. Would it lean too far back and be another blah re-hash? Or would it lean too far away from the past and leave out important characteristics of the main characters? Would the actors be believeable in their roles? Would the story be any good?? To my great surpirse and even greater pleasure--it was terrific! The actors were perfect for their roles, there was enough of the old to anchor the new, & a reasonably good sci-fi story. All in all a really, really good movie. I look forward to the sequels.

3 comments:

Grace. said...

I will admit to one 50-year long vice--I've been a science fiction fan ever since a nice librarian handed the 10 year old me a copy of "A Wrinkle in Time." I still have fond memories of delaying all college dates on Friday nights until AFTER I watched "Star Trek" in the smokey dorm basement. And, because I occasionally write and have published science fiction short stories, I get to hang out with SF writers. I haven't seen the new movie yet (I NEVER go to movies on their first week-end of release--I hate getting mowed down by 14 year old boys!) but you can bet I plan to by next week-end!

Florence said...

Grace, if you have written SF anywhere, anytime my DH has most likely read it! He's a true SF fan. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!!

Anonymous said...

I LOVED the new Star Trek. I'm a big fan of classic Trek and hoped very much the new movie would be good. It exceeded every expectation. I saw it TWICE this past weekend. Haven't done anything like that in a couple of decades . . .
Susan