Tuesday, April 16, 2019

But what do you do all day?

  • Baby barn swallows 
  • What do I do all day?
  • Ronni Bennett’s incomparable blog, Time Goes By is asking that we share how we spend our days now that we are aging and retired.  


  • To begin with everything, and I mean everything, is more difficult and takes much longer than it used to. Taking a shower, getting dressed, brushing my teeth, cooking, cleaning all take twice as long to accomplish. Stiff joints and loss of muscle contribute to this. I also have a neuromuscular condition that means I must use an electric scooter to move from place to place. It’s inconvenient but at least I can move.

    Then there’s the fatigue factor. I suppose that part of the tiredness is due to interrupted sleep. I used to be an Olympic level sleeper but now  I’m awake every 2-3 hours. Every. Single. Night. I simply cannot do without an afternoon nap.  I also schedule my errand running to only one outside errand or activity per day. I have a monthly cleaning service which I am seriously thinking of changing to every other week.

    I am fortunate that at this time I do not spend time with doctors or taking medications. I take 2 pills each morning, one for blood pressure and the other for overactive bladder. That could change at any time for me or my husband. I am 71 and he is 72. 

    I am not a people person and enjoy my home with my cats and dog, I love to read and quilt, and writing letters to my legislators.  I cook and clean because they simply must be done. I love to listen to NPR and podcasts. 

    I spend a lot of time watching natural things. Right now I am watching barn swallows as they swoop in and out of the back porch feeding themselves on the bountiful supply of insects available here on the Texas Gulf Coast. I’ve been watching the Monarch caterpillars devouring every single leaf on the milkweed plants. I watch the bees on the salvia, the hummingbird at the feeder, and the leaves on the trees. I’ve never had time for this before and I find it wholly pleasing. 

    The last time waster is the time I spend wondering why I came into a particular room. It seems that I can remember what I want to do or where I am to go, but not both. On the whole, life is still good. 

3 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I am glad you can look a life in such a positive way, with your illness. I am not a people person, I enjoy watching nature like you. Reading is one of my favorite things if I can not be outside. I do miss having a dog, they always made me happy. Sending well wishes and wishing you a happy day!

likeschocolate said...

I have lupus and it affects my joints. I recently started taking turmeric in liquid form and it has helped a lot with the pain. Sorry, you have to go through this. Have a lovely weekend.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I don’t think anyone would wonder what you do all day ... you spend productive hours acting on your convictions the way we all should. Thank you for that! We are going to be 79 and 80 on our August birthdays. I truly spend time every day saying thank you for each moment. (But we’re both Leos and even after 60 years, we still waste some moments arguing )). I agree about everything taking longer. I laugh (ruefully) about the fact that I can only do one thing every day. If I shop for groceries, I can’t cook that day. If I write a blog post (usually on Sunday) I can maybe manage to do a few loads of laundry at the same time and Bill usually makes dinner. No need to say that when we do a boat day or a nature walk , not one other thing gets done. Our homes are about as big as the average Americans broom closet (only a slight exaggeration) but we are still thinking about having a bimonthly cleaning service, because deep cleaning is exhausting.

I am so glad that Ronni is still here with us.