Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Around OakMeadows

Bandit and me on my LadyBuggy

Around OakMeadows

I have been reading recently about how robots are supposed to be taking over all the jobs. I'm aware that many jobs have been and are going to be done by robots but most of this has been written by scholarly men who don't know how to run a home, take care of children, cook, clean, or fix anything.  Are we going to replace police officers with a robot to go to a domestic violence complaint? How about a robot to fix the leaky seal around a toilet in the guest bathroom.  Is your sick child going to want to sleep cuddled up to the robot? And who is going to fix the robot when it breaks down? And finally, what robot is going to change all the poopy baby diapers? Wouldn't that be a great invention!!

We are having spring today.  It is way above normal temperature. I'm not sure if this is real spring or just today spring. The trees seem to think it is real spring because the tree pollen levels are way up there. I'm running the air conditioning mostly to keep the pollen and humidity at a reasonable level. This is the first year I have ever run the air conditioner at least some in every month of the winter. This does not bode well for summer temperatures. 

I have a couple of books going right now. Lindbergh by A. Scott Berg is excellent; I am reading it with the GoodReads History Group. And I'm reading Thank You for Being Late by Thomas Friedman. It is also excellent but I do have one criticism: Thomas Friedman loves words, the more words the better, never say it once when you can rephrase it and repeat it again and again. Good material but as my high school composition teacher would say, "Wordy, too wordy." 

I keep watching the train wreck in Washington and ardently hoping that the Donald doesn't decide his ratings would go up with a small nuclear war somewhere. I think Congress is adequately paralyzed to keep from doing away with Social Security and Medicare, so that's a blessing. Many of the Trumpophiles want to do away with the ACA but so far there is nothing to replace it with, so we muddle on. 

I am finally getting the Sampler Quilt top together. I hope to have it finished by the end of this week. I'll post a photo when I get it together.  

This month's (March) $125 charitable donation is going to my much loved National Butterfly Center. January's donation went to the local Food Pantry and February went to Planned Parenthood.  I budget $125 each month for a donation. There are more worthy causes than I have money to give to so JMM and I decide on one each month and that's that. 

I'm binge watching House of Cards on Netflix streaming.  It seemed kind of appropriate.  

That's all the news from OakMeadows where the cats are loved and so are the people. 

No comments: