Monday, January 23, 2017

Around OakMeadows


Around OakMeadows

We went to see Hidden Figures and it was excellent. It is the true story of the black women who worked at NASA before computers doing the necessary computations by hand. If you are looking for something inspiring and uplifting, don't miss it. 

I am slowly (very slowly) clearing out the garage of stuff we don't use. Today JMM took in to the Household Hazardous Waste/Recycling Center a bunch of old cans of paint. We will never be able to paint either the exterior or interior of the house again so there is no sense in keeping cans of paint that we will never use. I did keep the paint used on the fence in case JMM needs to touch it up. Last month he took in a bunch of bottles of yard chemicals and pesticides. There may be a few more hazardous materials to take in but I'm glad that most of it is out of the house and disposed of properly.  

I'm reading Thomas Friedman's new book Thank You for Being Late and to tell the truth, I'm having a hard go of it.  The whole premise of the book seems to be how much progress we are making and things are getting better faster and faster although humans are having difficulty keeping up with all the progress. I, on the other hand, am more a pending catastrophe type person.  I suppose being an environmentalist, it is hard to be otherwise.  

Is it spring? We had March winds yesterday and today we topped 78 degrees. Some of the bushes are leafing out and JMM saw a Cloudless Sulphur yesterday but I can't imagine what he could feed on because nothing is blooming.  He should have stayed in his chrysalis. 

JMM has gotten off all artificial sweeteners and off caffeine. He was having frequent migraines and the usual remedies weren't working so he decided to try this. It took 9 days to get over the caffeine withdrawal headaches but since then (6 days), he has been headache free. It is hard to live with someone who is getting off caffeine but even harder to live with someone who thinks I should be caffeine free too. I told him I am just not that morally pure. To be continued. 

That's all the news from OakMeadows where all the cats are caffeine free but only one of the humans is. 

2 comments:

Hattie said...

I loved Hidden Figures. Theatergoers where I saw it in Seattle applauded at the end.

Rambling Woods said...

I am not pure either ..Lol