Thursday, September 10, 2015

September Around OakMeadows



I had a bout of insomnia last night. I tried listening to the radio, listening to an audio book, listening to a Dave Ramsey podcast; I tried laying in bed, I tried my comfy chair, I thought about trying the recliner but thought it too much trouble. I finally slept from 12:30 to 1:30 and from 2:30 to 5am. Well, the good thing is that I don't have to go to work and could take a nap from 11am to 1pm. What I 
wouldn't give for a good night's sleep!

We had a 50% chance of rain today but it never did rain. The clouds helped keep things relatively cool for August.  There were a few mosquitoes this morning when I went out to clean and fill the birdbaths and set out the sunflower seed and peanuts for the birds. We are trying to keep seed in the feeders that the blackbirds can't get into but the cardinals can. I'm not sure just how effective this is.  But in the spring and fall we have flocks of blackbirds migrating through and they can clean out a feeder in no time at all. 
We have 2-3 hummingbirds at our feeder.  They also feed on the bottlebrush bushes of which we probably have 30. I change the sugar water in the feeder every Friday which reminds me that I need to make a fresh batch.  


We had a beautiful rainbow this morning in the north:



I had to stop reading The Great Divide by Matt Taibbi because it was just too depressing.  I don't doubt at all what he is saying about the difference in how the poor are treated by the criminal justice 
system and how the Wall Street white-collar criminals are treated but it was just too upsetting to read 412 pages of it. 

JMM brought home hamburgers for dinner because I had no energy for cooking. 

3 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Pretty butterfly! I have trouble sleeping too, today I was up at 3:30. Lovely capture of the rainbow. Have a happy day!

Hattie said...

I'm sorry to hear of your insomnia. We don't really know what causes it,which is strange.

Rambling Woods said...

I have great trouble sleeping..a lot is pain and the meds do help..but I also like the nights... and the peace .. love the butterfly...Michelle