Friday, September 11, 2015

Around OakMeadows


We have had several unseasonably cool days and what blessed relief it has been. Many years the first weeks in September are in the upper 90s or low 100s so a high of 84 is much appreciated.  I just grieve over the drought and horrible fires in beautiful California. Will the drought there ever end?

I am making some progress on the baby quilt. I am hoping to get the blocks in the center finished this week and start quilting the borders next week. 

I have 3 books going and all are just excellent. Few Eggs and No Oranges is a diary kept by Vere Hodgson in London during World War II. It is so interesting to read about the bombing during the Blitz. The thing she writes most about is how tired everyone is from the sleepless nights.  One thing that strikes me is how everyone just tried to keep everything going. I wonder if we would do nearly as well today?

The migrant/refugee situation in Europe is truly awful. I can certainly understand why people from war torn countries such as Syria, Afghanistan, Iraq, and a dozen other countries would want to escape to Europe. But, I have to wonder how such large numbers of people from a vastly different culture will assimilate into their new home. There was an interesting article in the NYT about the coming genocides as climate change makes more and more people migrate for one reason or another.  What on earth happens as Bangladesh becomes more and more uninhabitable from sea level rise--where will they go? India, not likely. What a situation!

Politics: I like Bernie Sanders and hope he gets the nomination. If Hillary gets the nomination, I will vote for her but with considerably less enthusiasm. She seems almost as paranoid as Richard Nixon. The Republican candidates couldn't get more bizarre if they tried. 

We had dinner with T&C Saturday evening at Taste of Texas.  I love everything on the menu. One of my favorite things is their Stuffed Mushroom appetizer. I think that was what did me in. By the time we got home, things were not pleasant and I spent the next several hours in the bathroom. The next day I had crackers and Coke over ice and got to feeling much better.  

Joe is talking about retiring completely next June. He is still working 2 days a week.  I certainly have no objections but in all honesty, I think he will miss the interaction with colleagues. But he will be 69 years old and he does tire more easily although he won't admit it. 

We want to take a Mediterranean cruise but we won't be able to do it next spring because we want T&C to come with us. She is trying to get a TDY in Washington and won't be able to take vacation time while there.  So I guess we are back to going to Yellowstone as we originally planned. 

That's all the news from OakMeadows where the cats eat Fancy Feast and the people wash their dishes.  


1 comment:

Rambling Woods said...

I love Bernie...... I watched the debate last night..... Oh my...... Crazy talk....