Thursday, May 7, 2015

Around OakMeadows


Around OakMeadows

This is the week that the hummingbirds finally showed up. We have 2 feeders going and fill them on alternate days with 2 cups of sugar water.  It looks like we have 15-20. Most are just passing through but usually there are 2 pairs that remain and nest. 
Our barn swallows already have babies in 2 of the 4 nests so far. It is a mess cleaning up under the nests but there is nothing sweeter than watching baby barn swallows learning to fly. We set a record last year with 15 babies fledged. Wonder how we will do this year. 

We have finally had enough rain free days that we could get out and clean up the yard. I got the bottlebrush bush whacked back. If I had known how humongous it would grow, I would never have planted it there.  I also had to cut back the butterfly weed because it was taking over the walkway. I hated to do it but I could barely get my scooter by it. We had such a mild winter that it never died back and so we started off with ginormous patches of it. Hope the butterflies make good use of it. Joe got all the edging and mowing done. Just in time too because more rain is on the way. No complaints though after the previous few years of drought. 

Quilting right along. Finished Block #22. I am really thinking of piecing another baby quilt so I will have something small to work on while we are at Yosemite. If I'm going to do it, I've got to get it together next week. 

Lots of good reading. I finished A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle. It is aimed at a junior audience but it was still quite good. I don't plan to read any more in the series though. The Liar by Nora Roberts is an easy read, predictable. I've just started Dead Wake by Eric Larson and so far it is excellent. 

I didn't get to do much cooking this week. Things just kept getting in the way and we ended up eating way too much junk.  Resolutions to do better next week. 

I am having such a good time contacting so many of my high school classmates about our 50 year class reunion. I have talked to people I haven't seen since graduation. Unfortunately, my best high school friend will not be able to attend; she lives in Colorado now and says she just doesn't travel much now.  We are driving to Yellowstone in 2016 and I plan to swing by and see her on the way. I think I was so fortunate to go to public schools in Galveston when I did. We had so much fun and got a terrific education too. 

Tomorrow the first roofer is coming to give us an estimate on the roof repairs. Holding my breath on how much it will cost. 

That's all the news from OakMeadows where the cats are all spoiled and the retirees nap every afternoon. 

3 comments:

Rambling Woods said...

My butterfly weed is 4 years old and slowly coming along. First hummingbird today... Just one male so far

eileeninmd said...

Lovely flowers and image. I am so happy to see our hummers return.. I have a pair here and the male is very protective of his yard.. The reunion sounds like fun! Happy Friday, have a great weekend!

Hattie said...

I wish we had hummingbirds, but they are banned in Hawaii. Why, you ask? If they fertilize pineapples, they get seeds in them!