Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Around Oak Meadows

Around Oak Meadows

Went birding on Mother's Day. Perfect for me. You couldn't drag me into a restaurant on Mother's Day so we stopped at Schlotzsky's for lunch on the way home. Followed by a nice long afternoon nap. 

The roofers are coming this week. It turns out that all we really need to have done is replace the ridge line shingles and seal around the plumbing vents. Whew! Under $700. I found this company on Angie's List. I have had such good luck with referrals from Angie's List. 

Still plodding along on monster quilt--working on Block #23 now. 33 more to go. Blergh!

Drat Diane Rehm anyway! I am always hearing about good books on her show and I want to read them all.  I will never get my To Read List whittled down at this rate.  She had Eric Larson on the show a couple of weeks ago talking about his new book Dead Wake about the last voyage of the Lusitania. So I put my name on the library waiting list and for once, I got one of the first copies! Oh my, it is so interesting. Since there are people following me on the wait list, I won't be able to renew it and must get it finished in the 3 week check out period. Not a problem! It is so well written and so interesting that it will just fly by.  Then on today's Diane Rehm Show, David McCulloch was the guest talking about his new book The Wright Brothers. Well, David McCulloch is one of the best writers of biography and non-fiction ever and his book Truman is the best biography I've ever read. So I ordered a hard copy and it will be the next book that Joe and I read aloud to each other.  So many books, so little time. 

I've been doing better with the cooking this week. Mostly old standbys--Chicken Parmigiana, Hamburger Pie, Tuna Salad, and for dessert Lemon Sours. But I do have a cookbook coming from the library so I may find something new to try from it.  I really like to get cookbooks from the library and only buy one if it really has a lot of things I want to try--like Slow Cooker Revolution by America's Test Kitchen. That one had so many really good recipes for the slow cooker that I bought it. 

Only 2 weeks until we go to Yosemite. I think everything is in order. I have the pet sitter from Awesome Paws all lined up for the cats while we are away. Airline, car, and hotel reservations are in order. I don't need to buy any clothes or shoes. Joe needs to buy a water container for his hike with Tamara. 

2 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Lovely butterfly and image. Birding on Mother's Day sounds great to me.. And a trip to Yosemite sounds awesome too. Enjoy, have a great day!

Rambling Woods said...

Sounds the a perfect Mothers Day to me...!!