Monday, November 10, 2014

Honey Whole Wheat Muffins

When JMM and I got married in 1968, my college roommate, knowing that I knew absolutely nothing about cooking, gave me The Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook.  I am still using it and this recipe comes from it. I think about my dear roomie every time I make these.

Honey Whole Wheat Muffins

1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsifted whole wheat flour
1/2 cup milk
1 egg, well beaten
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup chopped prunes
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease the bottoms of 12 muffin-pan cups or line with paper liners.

Sift flour with baking powder and salt into a large bowl.  Stir in unsifted whole wheat flour; mix well.

Combine milk and the rest of the ingredients in a medium bowl; beat well with a wooden spoon.

Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.  Pour in milk mixture all at once; stir quickly with a fork, just until dry ingredients are moistened.  Do not beat. Batter will be lumpy.

Quickly dip batter into muffin pans,  filling about 2/3 full. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until nicely browned.

Loosen with a spatula; turn out of pan.  Serve hot.