Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Poor Economics: A Radical Rethinking of the Way to Fight Global Poverty by Abhijit Banerjee



I found this book very frustrating. He discusses in detail several areas where global poverty workers have spent much time, effort, and money trying to aid the poor in bettering their lives-- health, education, insurance, and finance. He discusses how these areas affect the poor and outlines various programs that have promised to aid the poor.  Then he proceeds to discuss in detail why the program doesn't work.  He does this over and over. So I skipped to the last chapter to see if he has any suggestions for programs that do work. He doesn't. The best he can do is suggest a wide variety of programs and to keep on trying. Frustrating.

3 comments:

Tom said...

I don't know about this book, but I want to read Rick Atkinson's works on WWII. I hear they're good. Agree? I like your poetry and meditations!

Hattie said...

Any work with deprived groups is intensely frustrating. I haven't read the book, so really would not venture to say more than that, from my own experiences and observations.

Florence said...

Tom, I cannot recommend Atkinson's WW II trilogy highly enough! I just finished The Guns at Last Light and without a doubt it is the best ever written about the period from Normandy through Germany's surrender.
I suppose it would be best to read them in order but I don't think it is imperative. All three are worth reading.