Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Around Oak Meadows



Finally! The weather is a bit cooler! And we had over 7 inches of rain last week! Good for the trees and grass...and mosquitoes, unfortunately.  But such is life-- the good and the not so good. 

Our water well project is on hold until the ground gets dry enough for the big trucks to get in. Ironic isn't it, that when we finally decide to put in a well, it won't stop raining.  Maybe in another week...if it doesn't rain. 

My quilt is coming along but I am at that awful stage where I'm not sure it is going to turn out like I want it to or if it is going to be a total disaster.  Should I chuck it in the back of the closet and not waste any more work on it or should I soldier on and hope for the best??

The kittens are growing. Duffy is still quite noticeably larger than Henry but Henry seems to be able to hold his own when they are tumbling around.  They were both up the oak trees this week but I didn't have my camera to take pictures. Maybe next week I can get some photos of them in the trees. 

JMM and I are finally trading in our trusty Blackberry phones for the iPhone 6 Plus. We are staying with T-Mobile as our carrier and thus got a $100/phone discount. They are supposed to be delivered in 10-14 days.  I have never had an iPhone but I absolutely love my iPad so I am sure I will get along just fine once I learn how to do the stuff I want with it.  Who could have guessed that the old black rotary dial phone would one day be wireless and take pictures and be connected to the Internet?? Love it!!

We went to Taste of Texas for our daughter's birthday. It is expensive but my, oh my, what good food! The stuffed mushroom caps were just the best and the steaks are always melt in your mouth good. JMM and I split a dessert and we all waddled out and went into a carbohydrate induced coma when we got home. But,maid I say how good it was?!

I'm reading two really good books. Coolidge by Amity Shlaes, a biography of  Calvin Coolidge who I knew absolutely nothing about, is really excellent so far. And I am reading Death at La Fenice by Donna Leon. It is a whodunnit set in Venice and is the first in a series. Very enjoyable read so far. 

Haven't done any traveling but this Friday we are going to lunch in Galveston with Joe's brother and sister and their spouses which is always fun and then in November we are going to the North American Butterfly Association meeting in Mission, TX which I am really looking forward to.  Next spring is our trip to Yosemite which I expect to be terrific too since I've never been there. 

Life is so good. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Let us know how the book on Coolidge turns out. Good luck with your well.