Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Quilts and Quilting

One of my earliest childhood memories is of playing under the quilting frame as my mother quilted.  I still have a quilt that she made using a WW II wool Army blanket as batting.  However, I didn't start quilting on my own until I was in my 30s and took a class at The Quilt Patch in Houston where Sarah Minor taught us how to plan and cut and piece the quilt top and how to put it all together and finally how to properly quilt. In that class, everything was done by hand and believe it or not, it was before cutting boards and rotary cutters.  Now I'd be lost without my cutting board and rotary cutter and all my piecing is done on the sewing machine.

I was looking back on some of my quilts and decided to share. So here are some of my bits and pieces.

This was a Christmas present for my dear Sister-in-law.

 
This was made from scraps of previous quilts.

 
This one I made up and called it Jewels.

 
This is a baby quilt that is unfinished in this photo but I have now finished it.
 
 
This one is called Jacob's Ladder. This is the third one I have made of this pattern.

3 comments:

Hattie said...

Lovely. Quilting is a wonderful American tradition.

Hootin Anni said...

I think I like Jewels best off all...such a warm comforting color.

Rambling Woods said...

Oh how I love quilts..