Wednesday, February 19, 2014

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak



This profoundly moving book is narrated by Death which is quite appropriate considering that the story is set in World War II Nazi Germany. The central character is Liesel Meminger who is the Book Thief.  There is so much of human experience, character, and emotion in the book that at times tears are near, at other times you are holding your breath, and at other times laughter, happiness, and contentment are there. We follow Liesel along with her foster family and her special friend as they move from childhood to adolescence in the horrible times of the Third Reich. Don't give up anywhere in the book until you have read the very last page. 

3 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

...this is one of my favorite subjects to read. Is this a novel or non-fiction? No matter, it sounds like a great book. I just found one on the Holocaust and a descendant returning to the area and learning about the history of the "Symphony"....can't wait to get into this one.

Florence said...

Anni, I thought it was excellent but my daughter didn't care for it. It was one I just couldn't put down and read until my eyeballs were hanging out of my head. Let me know what you think of it when you get it.

Rambling Woods said...

I have this in my Nook to read... Michelle