Thursday, February 20, 2014

Memory: Playing before there were screens

 


Memory: Playing before there were screens

I am remembering all the things we played before everyone got their own personal screen. I am excepting the movie screen and the one small black and white television screen. I don't remember ever being unhappily bored as a child. There were times when there was nothing special going on but it was a pleasant poking a twig in an ant nest to see them come out kind of bored. 

So what did I do:

I played jacks on the front porch with my friend Kathleen for hours. 

I played hop scotch on Kathleen's wide driveway. 

I liked to jump rope by myself. I didn't like to jump rope with 2 people on either end turning the rope. From a young age, I wanted to control things.  And how someone could jump more than one rope being turned in opposite directions was nothing short of a total mystery to me. 

Bike riding was almost always fun. The exception was when the horrid boy across the street would run me off the street with his bicycle.  I have often wondered if he ever went to prison when he grew up. 

Hula hoops were the craze one summer.  That was fun. 

I never learned to roller skate although Kathleen was a whiz on them. 

Playing cards: Fish and Old Maid and sometimes Canasta with the grown ups. 

Board games: I know we played checkers but never chess. I played Monopoly but it was never fun after about the first 30 minutes. 

Pick-up sticks, well you can imagine how well someone as uncoordinated as me would do at that!

Playing the piano. I was never really good but I could entertain myself for a good while playing Smoke Gets in Your Eyes or Harbor Lights. 

Reading, always. 

What I didn't play with: 
      Anything involving a ball.
      Red Rover
      Chasing or being chased

That's what comes to mind but I'm sure I have forgotten a bunch of games. What did you play before screens took over the world?

1 comment:

Rambling Woods said...

Yes... I fear the inability of kids to be able to play outside with no phones or video games... Michelle