Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Minding My Health

Minding my health

I have come to the conclusion that just about everyone has something that they just have to deal with. I have a neuromuscular condition for which there is no cure or even treatment. It will never get better and will slowly get worse. It will progress slowly enough that in all likelihood I will die of something else at a ripe old age. It is just something that I have to deal with.  

Yesterday I had my annual physical. Other than my neuromuscular problem, I am in very good health.  I got a pneumonia vaccine which is a one time vaccination and will not have to be repeated. The clinic did not have the high potency flu vaccine which is recommended for those over 65; it will probably be available in a week and I will go back and get it.  I don't like to be sick and if a vaccine will keep me well, that is 2 less problems to deal with. 

I had a bone density scan and my bones are fine. I have taken a calcium plus vitamin D supplement daily for 30+ years and I think that helps. 

Blood pressure was a bit high for me but I had been on the run all day and that may have contributed to it. I will have it checked again when I go back to get the flu shot. 

Blood work was drawn and results will be back in a day or so. 

I still have my gyn exam and mammogram due this year. I usually do this near my birthday. 

I do Weight Watchers to keep myself at a reasonable weight. Exercise is a problem because 1.  I would much rather read about exercise than actually do an exercise. 2. I can't walk much less do Zumba....However, I can do the exercise bike or a Sit and Be Fit DVD. 

Anyway, I do what I can to stay healthy because my neuromuscular condition is more than enough to deal with. 

What do you do to stay healthy?

2 comments:

Folkways Note Book said...

Good post. I eat almost 100 percent organic foods, keep my mind and body active, stay away from unnecessary pharmaceuticals, stay away from docs as much as possible. Try to keep my weight down (tough one for me). Live believing in the goodness of the body. -- barbara

Florence said...

Oh I love that phrase you wrote "Live believing in the goodness of the body." How often we dislike our body or abuse it with noxious mental and physical inputs. But our bodies are wondrous indeed!