Sunday, April 14, 2013

Gulf Coast Ribbon Snake

Gulf Coast Ribbon Snake

I was startled yesterday afternoon when I went to work on the roses to come upon a beautiful green and yellow striped snake. As much as I was startled, the snake was much more startled and moved amazingly swiftly farther down the row. I lost sight of him almost immediately.  You wouldn't think that something that bright would blend into the garden so completely. 
I looked through our copy of Texas Snakes to identify him. The pictures in the book and on the web do not do justice to his bright yellow racing stripe.  They feed on frogs and other amphibians. They are not poisonous although their bite can hurt because they ingest frogs which contain irritant toxins as part of their defense. I don't like for my little green froggies to be dinner for anything but a snake has to eat too. And he really was beautiful. 

No comments: