Saturday, June 4, 2011

Retirement Cooking

All my life I have worked and cooking was just part of the second shift of housework, cooking, laundry, etc.  I managed to keep us all fed and no one died of malnutrition. You work, you cook, you clean up the kitchen, you go to bed, and get up and do it all over again.  My mother thought of cooking as frying a meat and opening a can of green beans.  Add to that, my dear husband looks askance at anything new and vegetables means corn or green beans.  The good side of this is that I developed a rotation of meals that he would eat and it required very little thought..  The down side is that it was b o r i n g.

Now that I am retired, I have time, energy, and inclination to cook new stuff!! Not only that but I have discovered Williams Sonoma and what a difference having good cooking equipment makes. And there is a wonderful new Whole Foods within reasonable driving distance. I am having a blast!!

My latest cooking adventure will be a frittata brunch. The frittata will have red onions, yellow bell peppers, sweet Italian sausage, and fresh mozarella cheese.  I bought a 10" Calphalon skillet to make it in.  We will have melons and berries and toasted, buttered sour dough bread.  I can't think what to serve to drink though.  Any suggestions??

No comments: