Sunday, October 18, 2009

We Are Doomed by John Derbyshire

Although I am referred to as the family pessimist--I fully anticipate the repairman will be late, if he comes at all, and things will definitely cost more and take longer than planned, and if something can be spilled, broken, or tripped over, of course it will be-- I prefer to think of myself as a realist. I thought when I picked up John Derbyshire's We Are Doomed that I had found a kindred spirit and it is true that we have points in common. However, I am not as fatalistic as he because I come at things from the perspective that of course things will be a total fiasco while we work through the difficulties but eventually things get sorted out. He doesn't--he comes to a full stop in the lake of the dismal swamp. I wish him well but prefer to slog my way out of the swamp and come out on the other side--a bit splattered but in a better place.

No comments: