Sunday, February 22, 2009

What's new in the garden?

Tomatoes and bell peppers, that's what!! We planted 4 varieties of tomatoes. I usually have good luck with cherry tomatoes so we have several of those. For my new variety, this year I am trying Roma tomatoes. Only 2 bell pepper plants, one generally provides all we can eat but I want some to chop up and put in the freezer. The little pea plants are doing very well and will have to be thinned out before long.

I am contemplating getting a solar oven and learning how to cook with it this summer. It really is ridiculous to use the oven during the summer while running the airconditioning to keep the house cool. I saw a couple of books on solar cooking but I'm sure it is like anything else, you learn it best while doing it. I would also need some kind of cart on wheels to move it in and out. Interesting. Need to look into the different types and the cost.

Another project for the summer is to do some home canning. The last time I did home canning was back in the 1970's. Funny how the things I did back then are now all the rage.

So much to learn; so much to do!!


Thought for the day:

Constant kindness can accomplish much. As the sun makes ice melt, kindness causes misunderstanding, mistrust, and hostility to evaporate. Albert Schweitzer

No comments: