Sunday, January 11, 2009

62

JMM's 62nd birthday was yesterday. I gave him 2 books which he had on his Amazon.com wish list and a birthday card. We went to the Cheesecake Factory for lunch (his choice) and came home for a nice afternoon nap. We've celebrated a lot of birthdays together!! and I hope to celebrate quite a few more!! Since my birthday is in December, I like to tease him that he is much older than me for almost 11 months. I don't mind birthdays and JMM doesn't either; I'm rather proud of myself for making it this far.

Musings: When JMM and I were growing up, kids didn't have the big birthday parties that many have today. It just wasn't the norm. Your mother maybe made a cake and put some candles on it but there were certainly no parties at ChuckyCheese (maybe because there wan't any ChuckyCheese back then). I don't think I ever had a birthday party except the year that I turned 16, I invited some girlfriends over and we had cake and a fun afternoon. JMM remembers one when he was about 5 or 6. I don't remember going to birthday parties either. Just different times.

Thought for the day:

Elizabeth Barrett Browning (1806-1861)
Sonnet XLIII
How do I love thee?
Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach,
when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I love thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need,
by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely,
as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely,
as they turn from Praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints, -
I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life!
- and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.

No comments: