Thursday, June 9, 2022

Around OakMeadows

 


My Dolly Madison Lilies are blooming.


We have been going out under the trees soon after breakfast each morning before the heat sets in. This morning we took the LadyBuggy for a ride around the property so that I could see how much all the trees had grown in the last 3 years. It was lovely to see them up close. Many of the trees have a base diameter of 12-18 inches. The big water oak is just magnificent. Then JMM did some more watering while I read. By 9 am, it was getting warm and time to go inside. 

The summer heat is setting in. We are supposed to go over 100 degrees this weekend. There are two unknowns always in the back of my mind in summer: 1.) Will the power grid hold and 2.) hurricanes. The Generac helps with the first and we are as prepared as possible for the second. 

The war in Ukraine goes on. While you can’t help but admire the Ukrainian resistance, the fact remains that Russia can strike anywhere in Ukraine at any time but the Ukrainians can’t strike back outside their own territory.  Which means that Russia can pound them into dust for as long as it wants to. I don’t see any way Ukraine can “win.” If I were a Ukrainian, I would be heading to Sweden to ask for asylum. 

I got some quilting books from the library to spur my creativity with what to do with my French General fabric that I bought last week. I had gone to Quilter’s Emporium to get a couple more blues to go into my blue and brown quilt top that I am about to start. I found and bought the blues but on my way out the door, I saw a collection of gorgeous French General fabric that stopped me cold in my tracks. So JMM sat back down while I gathered up 7 bolts of fabric and had them cut one yard of each. We paid for it and JMM threatened me with a blindfold and got out the door. Now I have to figure out what to do with the FG while I get going on the blue/brown. 

If you have Netflix, be sure to watch The Lincoln Lawyer. Interesting characters, good story. Not overly violent. Warning: Once you start, it is binge worthy.

 

No comments: