Sunday, February 13, 2022

Slow Cooker Chicken, Tortellini, and Tomato Soup

 


This is my new recipe for the month of February.  It is adapted from a NYT Cooking recipe. It is delicious.


Slow Cooker Chicken, Tortellini, and Tomato Soup


Ingredients 
4 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons tomato paste
Canned crushed tomatoes, 28 oz. 
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar 
6 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons onion powder
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
5 oz. spinach
8 oz. cheese tortellini 
Grated Parmesan cheese, for serving

1. In a 6-8 quart slow cooker, whisk together broth, tomato paste, and white wine until tomato paste is dissolved. Add tomatoes, vinegar, garlic, oregano, onion powder, red pepper flakes, salt, and chicken thighs. Cook on low 6 hours until chicken is very tender. 

2. Shred the chicken. Add spinach and tortellini. Continue cooking on low for another 30 minutes. 
3. Serve with grated Parmesan cheese. 







3 comments:

eileeninmd said...

This soup sounds delicious, thanks for sharing the recipe.
Take care, have a happy new week!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

We have found so many good recipes on the NYT site but somehow missed this one which does sound delicious (and right up my alley -- easy, but flavorful!) -- I'm curious how you changed the original but my guess is that I'll use your version. I'll let you know. Thanks!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Here I am back again already -- this sounded so good and I'm actually in the process of creating next week's menu (I don't plan ahead as well as you do). So before I forget I thought I'd tell you I looked at the NYT recipe and I see that the only difference seemed to be that you used more chicken broth. Sounds good to me -- more soup for us. Yum. Thanks again.