Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Around OakMeadows


While September was our month for hummingbirds, October has been the month of butterflies.  We started our butterfly garden 5 years ago and it has truly born fruit/butterflies this year.  One of the best plants we have found for attracting bees and butterflies is called Blue Mist.  There are two varieties, one blooms in the spring and the other in the fall. And does it ever bloom!! We have daily Monarchs, Queens, Gulf Fritillaries, Common Buckeyes, several skippers, Giant Swallowtails, and today a Pipevine Swallowtail.  Joe and I go out on the walkway and just stand there watching all the butterflies.  

We had a lovely weekend trip to Washington, D.C. to visit our daughter. She has a 16 week old golden doodle puppy who is just a bundle of fur, energy, and love. We had a great time walking the puppy around the city and playing with her in the apartment.  Her name is Lucy. I must say my daughter is an excellent trainer.  We went to the National Gallery which is astonishing and we went to the Smithsonian Museum of American History. I was very disappointed with the American History Museum as it was crowded and i thought the exhibits very jumbled. I did like the First Ladies exhibit of their dresses and China.  I liked Abigail Adams’ China best of all.  We met up for lunch with a dear friend from my high school days and that was just delightful. She is every bit the force of nature that she was in high school. 

I found a British mystery series on Amazon Prime that I am really enjoying. It is Endeavor. It is about Inspector Morse at the very beginning of his career and is set in the 1960s. Excellent!!

On the down side, Trump is still President and still embarrassing himself and everyone else. Oh well, as long as he doesn’t start WW III,  we will get through it.  I’ve been taking a break from my 🔥Resistance. Every. Day.🔥 but plan to get back at it the first of November.  9 months down, 39 to go. 

That’s all the news from OakMeadows where the cats eat Fancy Feast and the people make do with leftovers. 

4 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello Florence, the Blue Mist plant sounds awesome. I will have to google it. So glad you had a nice trip to visit your daughter. Her doggie sounds cute. I have been to the National Gallery, maybe someday. Happy Wednesday, enjoy your day!

Florence said...

Thank you, Eileen. I hope you enjoy a visit to the National Gallery as much as I did. Have a wonderful day!

Hattie said...

Wouldn't it be strange if suburban gardeners were the ones to save the butterflies?

Florence said...

It’s possible. While we were in DC a couple of weeks ago, we came across a beautiful butterfly garden on each side of the sidewalk. It was just lovely.