Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Around OakMeadows


A quilt I made several years ago 

I would like to remind everyone to protect themselves from mosquito bites by using repellant and dressing appropriately when going into mosquito infested areas. (And here on the Texas Gulf Coast, that is everywhere.) My sister in law just got out of 7 days in ICU where she was diagnosed with West Nile Virus.  She will spend 2-3 weeks in rehab after she is discharged from the hospital later this week. If all goes well, in 4-6 months she will probably be fully recovered.  WNV is nothing to mess around with. Protect yourself. 

I have been putting off working on my latest quilt while I made up my mind what to do. It has become apparent that I can no longer hand quilt. My CMT has progressed to where it is more frustration than enjoyment. So I am going to find someone with a long arm sewing machine to do the quilting.  While I enjoyed hand quilting, my main pleasure was always the design and creation of the quilt top itself. I think Quilter's Emporium keeps a roster of people who do machine quilting. We shall see. 

The hummingbird migration is underway here.  We are not seeing the great groups that we have had in the past but there are 3-4 everyday at the feeder.  No Monarchs at all right now, but Gulf Fritilaries, pipevine swallowtails, unknown skippers, and sulfurs.  Joe helped me ID a lovely White-tipped black moth. Still have not been able to ID the moth that feeds on the plumbago every evening just after the sun goes down. 

I finished The Beauty and the Sorrow  by Peter Englund. It was excellent. I am back to reading The Invention of Nature: Alexander Von Humbolt's New World by Andrea Wulf. His travels through South America are just incredible. Excellent so far.  

We are planning a 7 day car trip to Virginia the first week in October. Earlier this year I read an excellent biography of James Madison and decided to visit his home at Montpelier.  Since we've never been to Thomas Jefferson's home at Monticello, we will go there too. And while we're in the neighborhood, Mount Vernon is just down the road, so we'll go there too.  Montpelier, Monticello, and Mount Vernon--> our MMM trip.

I will be so very glad when this horrible election campaign is over.  I hope Hillary wins so that I never ever have to see or listen to anything Donald Trump says again.  I am thoroughly embarrassed by him and everything his deplorables stand for. 

2 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

Indeed. Those nasty mosquitoes. Even tho, in our news media [apps and TV, and newspaper] they report where the testing results in positive WN disease, it's still good for a precaution to exercise common sense.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Me too Florence (on the political campaign) ... my thoughts exactly.

I remember back in the day when I would tell our kids just to suck it up if they had an itchy mosquito bite or two == just the price of enjoying a camping/hiking trip I'd say. Wow how times have changed. Thanks for the reminder to spray spray spray. Hope your SIL recovers fully without further incident.

Your coming trip sounds wonderful. We've seen two of those M homes and they were both wonderful tours. We missed Mt Vernon and I can't remember why we decided not to take that short extra trip at the time; we may never get back that way and I regret missing it.