Wednesday, December 24, 2014

My Gentle Barn by Ellie Laks



My Gentle Barn by Ellie Laks

It is hard to believe that someone who had been molested and neglected as a child could become such a caring and compassionate person. Perhaps, it is because as she says, the animals saved her. This book is about her healing neglected and abused animals as they heal her own neglected and abused spirit. 

The thought of animal abuse is so abhorrent to me that I almost didn't read this book. While there is no glossing over the neglect and abuse the animals came out of, Ellie's love and gentle respect for the animals is the major focus of the book. 
I had never heard of The Gentle Barn until I read this book. I knew of various rescue organizations but other than getting our cats from the local shelter, I really had no interaction with people whose lives are dedicated to animal rescue.  And frankly, it was easier just not to think about it. 

I read the book from start to finish almost without putting it down. It is interesting to see how Ellie grows and becomes the person that she was meant to be. And it is heartwarming to read about her patient, gentle nurturing of the animals that come into her life. And it is noteworthy that she uses the animals to help youth who have been injured by life to learn from the people and animals at the Gentle Barn how to heal and trust and be kind and gentle. 

You can learn more about the Gentle Barn at www.gentlebarn.org or on Facebook Gentle Barn. 

A very good read indeed. 

No comments: