Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Iraq....again....


Can there be anyone who is surprised at the growing chaos in Iraq?  I won't even try to sort out the various Sunni versus Shia hostilities.  When the U.S. pulled out both Joe and I wondered how long it would be before there would be a sectarian civil war.  The surprise has been that it didn't start earlier. I understand that the President has ordered 300 additional troops to secure American interests, i.e., the American Embassy. Good luck to them. I wonder if we will have another rooftop evacuation from the Embassy. As far as I can think, the only possible solution would be to break Iraq into 3 independent areas: the Kurds in the north, the Sunni in the center, and the Shia in the South and East.  We shall see.  

The same thing will happen as soon as we pull out of Afghanistan. 

What a tremendous loss of time, money, and lives.  It is my opinion, we should stop with the military intervention here, there, and everywhere.  I have no objections to humanitarian aid such as medical clinics or educational programs. But we are not the military police for the globe, besides we have enough needs not being taken care of right here in the United States. 

3 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

...it's all the domino effect. And as you say, just get out of other countries, let them fight their own wars [but there is oil, imports, etc. that make America money I'm sure]

Spend the money we waste on our OWN people and infrastructure. [get a new president would help]

EG CameraGirl said...

I think it's time North Americans realized we cannot solve the world's problems with guns and ammunition.

Florence said...

Thank you for the comments. Sometimes I just have to vent my frustrations over the political situation!
Anni, the problem is who?? We will be getting a new president in 2016, but who?? Hillary Clinton looks like the Democratic nominee and I remember she wanted to go into Libya, Syria, and Iraq.And the Republicans are even more interventionist. Ack!!!