Friday, October 18, 2013

Memory: The New House

The New House

My father was a Merchant Mariner who spent his working life at sea dreaming of retirement in the country. He bought property in the country near the small East Texas town of Etoile and planned a beautiful brick home surrounded by the piney woods. 
My mother grew up in abject poverty in the piney woods of East Texas and could not wait to leave for the city. She had no intention of ever returning. 
My father just knew that if he built the house, she would love it and be happy to move back. 
Long story, short-- He built the house and my mother wouldn't move. The house was sold to my Aunt Lillian and Uncle Marvin who lived in it happily until their deaths many years later. 
My mother and father stayed happily in their little house in Galveston until their deaths many years later. 

No comments: