Thursday, June 27, 2013

Medicare Update

More progress:
Social Security sent us the forms that we need to verify that we have current insurance through my husband's employer. We will have this done and mailed back to SS next week. Then we will be all set for Medicare Part B to start when DH retires next February. Whew!

We have decided against a Medicare Advantage plan at this time.

I have narrowed down to 2 likely companies for the Medigap insurance--AARP (United Healthcare) and USAA. The coverage is the same and the premiums are $108/ month and $118/month. Both are sending me written information.

Next I will look into the Part D Prescription drug plans. Both AARP and USAA have prescription drug plans. DH needs 2 inhalers for asthma and I don't have any regular prescriptions.

While this process has been made much easier by the Internet, it has still been rather time-consuming. I am certainly learning a lot about Medicare. My advice to anyone approaching Social Security and Medicare is to give yourself plenty of time for reading and research because there are important deadlines and it can be rather overwhelming (or at least it was for me).

1 comment:

Hattie said...

It's important to meet deadlines so as to avoid penalties.