Tuesday, May 7, 2013

The Little Way of Ruthie Leming by Rod Dreher

The Little Way of Ruthie Leming by Rod Dreher

Wow! What a book! Just when you think you've got a handle on the situation, another layer is pealed back and you get a closer look and things aren't quite what you thought. 

I've been a Dreher reader since Crunchy Cons and BeliefNet. I knew he could write but this book takes it up a notch or three. Man can he ever describe a place and a way of life!  (However, I wonder if my family would be so happy with me if I so clearly put our family out in the open the way Rod has.)

The Little Way had me in tears and it had me nodding my head up and down in agreement and it had me so aggravated with Rod that I wanted to shake him and tell him to get a grip. 

It is partly a cancer saga, partly a coming home saga, and partly a family generational saga.  But that doesn't really describe the depth and reality of it; it is soul searching. Well, worth reading and I'll bet once you pick it up, you will read it cover to cover  within 48 hours. 

No comments: