Thursday, January 24, 2013

Women in combat units in the military

The Pentagon has announced that all restrictions on what units women can serve in the military will be lifted.  
The part of me that ardently supports women's rights thinks that this is right and as it should be.  Votes for women, equal education, equal pay for equal work, all absolutely!!

But I must admit that part of me cannot for the life of me understand why any woman would want to. Men can be crude and stupid and testosterone afflicted. I know, I know, not all men are like that. But you get a large group of healthy, young men together and they are most likely to be thinking with something other than their brains. 

And then there is the whole military-industrial complex thing.  Yes, there are people who for one reason or another would like to destroy America. So we do need to be able to keep them at bay. Cant do away entirely with the military. However, I have seen too many unnecessary wars--from Viet Nam to Iraq and now Afghanistan--and my confidence in our leadership to make wise decisions has been badly shaken. 

So, as for women in the military in combat units, I suppose if that's what you want. But don't be surprised at what you actually end up with.

Edited to add:

I've been giving more thought to this.  There are so many professions that women have been excluded from--law, medicine, pharmacy, just to name a few.  And the same thing that I said above about working in the male dominated military was said about the other professions. And we all recognize that women have done just fine in those professions. So what I said just doesn't hold up. Women have been  in combat units and some have done well and others have not just as some men hold up well and others do not. 
So let me refine my statement to say that barring an actual invasion or attack, I don't understand why anyone-male or female-would want war as a profession. 



2 comments:

Hattie said...

I suppose it's a step forward. But somehow I can't muster up much enthusiasm about it.

Anonymous said...

I came across your page after googling "ruminations" (I rather enjoy the funny ones people post).
I've served in the infantry for 5 years, been overseas twice. Having been in a combat unit, my personal opinion on the whole matter is that it's perfectly fine, but they should be held to the same standard as the men of the unit. Being in a combat situation, you depend on your buddy to pull you out of the way and into cover if you get hurt. If a woman can pull a 200 lbs man with 50-60 pounds of gear out of the middle of the road then by all means let her go kick some butt. Currently, women in the army are held to a separate standard, Im more worried that if they keep it that way in a combat unit, I might end up next to some 105 pounder who cant drag me out of harms way, or carry me to the medvac. I dont want to die because of "equal opportunities"...It's going to be interesting to see how it all turns out. Anyways...Have a good one!
-Andy