Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Star of Hope



Homeless.  The very word frightens me. Not to have shelter, I have never experienced this but just thinking about it leaves me anxious. How much worse for the people who experience it every day and every night, summer and winter,  sunshine and rain.  I think what frightens me is that any one of those people could have been me. If I had a different family, if I'd never had the opportunity for education, if I had a mental illness, it could be me or any one of us.

The Star of Hope Mission serves people who for whatever reason become homeless. Whether it is domestic violence, drug or alcohol abuse, or just bad luck, the SOH takes people in and helps them get back on their feet.  There is a substance abuse recovery program, career and training counseling, day care, preschool, after school care, & homework assistance, and spiritual care and guidance. 

I support the SOH through my church. Saturday evening there will be a program of music and dance with a ticket price of $10 per person to raise money for this worthy endeavor. It will be a pleasant way to assist the Star of Hope.

1 comment:

Hattie said...

Good work. I don't know where you live, but I do know that most places this is the toughest time of the year for the homeless.