Friday, November 4, 2011

Some Recent Reads

The Gift of Good Land by Wendell Berry.  While I can’t argue with anything that Berry says about the importance of husbanding good land, I think he forgets that not all of us are either capable of or inclined toward being farmers.  I loved the essays about the individual farmers and how they cared for the land and animals in their care.
Henrietta Sees It Through by Joyce Dennys.  Henrietta Brown is the doctor’s wife in a small English village during WW II.  She and her family and friends carry on with their lives and duties during that difficult time.  Dennys is a wonderful portrayer of human nature.  I would be remiss if I didn’t mention the delightful line drawing illustrations that are scattered throughout the book bringing the characters even more to life.  Along with her previous book Henrietta’s War, be prepared not to be able to put these wonderful books down.


One Fine Day by Mollie Panter-Downs.  I should have loved this book but I found it tedious and boring.  Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for a book written in such a hushed tone.  I think I will try it again sometime because I really should have liked it...

No comments: