Granny Smith apples -2 medium-large, peeled, cored, & diced
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup whole wheat flour (You can use all whole wheat flour if you prefer.)
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup milk
1 egg, lightly beaten, at room temperature
1/2 cup chopped pecan pieces
1. Toss the diced apples with sugar in a medium bowl. Pour the oil over the top, stir well, and set aside at room temperature for 45 minutes.
2. Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 400 F.
Line muffin tins with liners or spray with Pam.
3. Whisk the flours, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a second bowl until uniform. Set aside.
4. Using a wooden spoon, stir milk and egg into the apple mixture until smooth. Then stir in the prepared flout mixture until moistened.
5. Fill the prepared tins 3/4 full. Bake for 23-25 minutes, or until the muffins have rounded, slightly cracked tops.
6. Set the pan on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Remove them from the pans and cool on a wire rack for another 5 minutes before serving.