Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Slow Cooker Revolution by America's Test Kitchen

I like to check cookbooks out from the library and see if there are any recipes that look promising. I can usually find one or two to try. I will try the recipes out and if we like it enough to make again, I copy the recipe into my recipe file on the computer and return the book to the library. It is very unusual for me to buy a new cookbook. I am buying Slow Cooker Revolution. It is that good. The recipes are not the two chicken breasts, a can of mushroom soup, & a can of peas on low for 8 hours type recipes. There is prep work and steps in cooking. But the results are so worth the extra effort. I've made 3 meals using the recipes from this cookbook and all 3 were delicious. 
I have been listening to the America's Test Kitchen program on NPR and found it informative and down to earth, cooking food that real people would eat. Good flavor and good nutrition. I've had a slow cooker for ages but used it for only a couple of dishes because I don't like the chicken breast-mushroom soup type glop that most slow cooker cookbooks call for. So when I heard about the ATK slow cooker cookbook, I decided to give it a try. The library had a copy and you know the rest if the tale. 
Next week, I am making Farmhouse Chicken and Corn Chowder. If it turns out as delicious as the others, I will post the recipe. 

No comments: