Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Fabric sedimentation

I have been quilting for 30+ years and accumulating leftover pieces of fabric from various projects.  I got the bright idea that I would cut these leftover pieces into 3 and 6 inch squares and use them to make a scrap quilt.  Well, I have accumulated enough for several scrap quilts but the interesting thing is that going down through the layers of fabric is like traveling back in time. I remember we were living in Midland when I used that fabric to make the Sampler Quilt that TSM has now. And so on down through the layers. And interspersed I have found various UFOs (UnFInished Objects). I found a set of placemats all pieced and ready to quilt, a very pretty quilted wall hanging, and some dreadful green fabric that I cannot imagine why I would have bought.
I am about half way through the stash and I have piles and piles of squares and hearts (to appliqué on the 6 inch squares).
I have several ideas rumbling around my mind as to how to put the quilts tops together. Nothing definite. I probably have enough to make 3-4 quilt tops. We shall see.

1 comment:

Hattie said...

My cousin who winters in San Miguel in Mexico has been doing art quilts and selling them for a handsome price down there. She uses things like gold thread, silk ties, ribbon fabric, etc., and her work is quite colorful. The longer she does these things, the bolder she gets. I have a piece that she generously gave to me that really captures something about the spirit of San Miguel.