2 stalks celery
2 Tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp. salt
1 sprig fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
32 oz. box chicken stock
2 cups fine egg soup noodles
1 small handful fresh parsley
Salt & pepper
Crusty bread, to serve (optional)
1. Chop celery and carrots. Heat a medium pan over a low heat, then add butter. Once it is foaming add celery, carrots, salt, a few grinds of black pepper, thyme leaves, and bay leaf. Cover with a lid and cook gently for 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are starting to soften, stirring occasionally.
2. Place the chicken breasts on top of the vegetables, then pour in the broth.
3. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover, then cook for 15 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board. Shred the meat using 2 forks or chop it into small pieces with a knife, then return it to the pan.
4. Remove the bay leaf from the pan. Add the noodles and simmer for 4 minutes, until the noodles are tender. Roughly chop the parsley and stir it into the soup. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
5. Enjoy the soup on its own or with crusty bread & butter.