Saturday, November 29, 2008

One foot in each of two futures

and I have no idea which one is real.

I am a long time fan of Dave Ramsey and his type financial advice. When I listen to Dave, I feel secure--I know what to do: pay off debt, live frugally, save and invest for the future. I can do this; I'm familiar with it.

But then I read The Automatic Earth or Sharon Astyck and I feel like I've stepped off a cliff. In this future, I'm lost. Farming, keeping livestock, milking goats? Uh, I'm lost. Maybe food storage like the Mormons?? What about transportation, lighting, fuel??? The days following Hurricane Ike gave me a taste of the isolation and lack of access to food, electricity, and fuel. And I am here to tell you, it is not a pretty option.

Which one is the real future? I don't know but I sure hope it isn't the second one.

No comments: