Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Around OakMeadows

We went to the Dallas Botanical Gardens today.  We left Angie at the vet to be boarded overnight so that we could leave before 6am. It is a 4 1/2 hour drive but once you leave the Houston traffic, it is a lovely drive.  We stopped at McDonald’s to get breakfast. The gardens are beautiful, beautifully laid out and immaculately maintained. Several areas had fountains and small waterfalls and the flowers were spectacular. Lots of huge trees.  JMM took photos so I just enjoyed the beauty and the peace.  

RBG is showing at the River Oaks and although I want to see it, i don’t want to see it enough to drive through all that traffic, find a non-existent parking spot,in the heat, and deal getting to the theater. So I hope it will come to my local AMC or perhaps it will be available for streaming eventually. 

I got my Dutch Churn and Dash Quilt back and to tell the truth, I don’t like it. The blocks look messy and cluttered.  I think this is the only quilt that I have ever made that I really didn’t like.  Sometimes I pull my hair out and rip things apart and start over again but I am always rather pleased with the finished product.  Now I don’t know what to do with it. I had planned to give it to my niece, Brenda, but I feel awkward giving something that I don’t like to someone that I do like. Decisions, decisions. 

I finished reading To Die but Once by Jacqueline Winspear. It is Maisie Dobbs #14 and I think it is one of the best. Perhaps it holds my interest because it is set in England in the opening days of WW II during the evacuation at Dunkirk. I anticipate at least 5 more books set during WW II.  I’ve started Becoming Odyssa which is about a young woman hiking the Appalachian Trail. So far it is really good. 


3 comments:

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Love Botanical Gardens and it is nice to have someone else take the pictures! (And it is a beautiful one!). This sounds horrible in a way, but could you give the quilt to a homeless shelter or children's charity or ... (I am not trying to suggest in any way that they only deserve second-best, but I am sure your quilt is not as bad as you think it is and someone should use it and love it!).

Florence said...

That’s a good idea Sallie. Maybe our Refugee Services of Texas. I’ll look into it.

eileeninmd said...

Hello, the gardens look beautiful! Walking around there would be a peaceful way to spend a day. Sorry about the quilt, I think Sallie has a great idea. Enjoy your day and Happy Mother's Day to you!