Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Post Harvey








No rain and blessed sunshine, blue skies, and puffy white clouds.  Thank goodness we have prevailed over the interminable rains of Hurricane Harvey.  We received a total of 34 inches over 4 days. We did not get any water in the house and it didn't really get out of the drainage ditch in our front yard.  We were without electricity for about 20 hours but the heroic linemen restored our power Saturday about 4pm and it never went out again. I have been very concerned about the Brazos River which was at first to crest at 59 feet which is 3 feet higher than the levees which contain it. But at last report, it will crest Friday at 56 feet.  There may be some spillage but nothing that would affect us.  
I have not been able to get to a grocery store and really haven't needed to. We went to HEB on Thursday and bought the usual week's groceries.  I have been able to keep us fed using that and my pantry since then. And I have enough to last until my usual Saturday morning grocery shopping. The key was not losing power for long and keeping my frozen food useable and being able to cook.  It would not have been so easy if we had lost power for the duration.   
The afternoon, I called and found out that Chili's in Rosenberg was open until 6pm. So at 4pm we went to Chili's for dinner.  I was so glad and thankful that I could get out and enjoy a meal out!! Everyone there was asking each other about their house and if they had any damage.  
I was sinking into a mild depression yesterday before the rain stopped. The sunshine helped and the trip to Chili's helped to pick me up.  I hope to sleep tonight and be more energetic tomorrow.  We shall see. 

3 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I am glad you are safe and there was no water in your home. I am glad you could get out for a meal. Seeing the sunshine should help too. Stay safe, my thoughts and prayers are for you and all the storm victims and Texas.

Florence said...

Thank you, Eileen! I have always just loved the sound of rain on the plant leaves but after non-stop rain for days, just the sound was making my skin crawl. Anyway, the work of recovery in this area will take months.

Hattie said...

Wow. So much rain! That would stress even Hilo, Hawaii, the rainiest town in the U.S. But you came through it well. Congratulations!