Nonstick spray or paper muffin cups
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
½ cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
¼ cup canola or vegetable oil
2/3 cup milk (whole, low-fat, or nonfat)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 medium zucchini (about 6 ounces each), washed
1. Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 400°F. To prepare the muffin tins, spray the indentations and the rims around them with nonstick spray, or line the indentations with paper muffin cups. If using silicon muffin tins, spray as directed, then place them on a baking sheet.
2. Whisk the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, sugar, baking powder, ground ginger, and salt in a medium bowl until uniform. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until lightly beaten, then add the brown sugar and oil. Continue whisking until the mixture is thick and pale brown, about 2 minutes. Whisk in the milk and vanilla extract.
4. Using the large holes of a box grater, grate the zucchini directly into the wet ingredients; stir until well blended. Then stir in the prepared flour mixture only until moistened and the zucchini is evenly distributed throughout the batter. Do not overmix.
5. Fill the prepared tins three-quarters full. Use additional greased tins or small, oven-safe, greased ramekins for any leftover batter, or reserve the batter for a second baking. Bake for 25 minutes, or until the muffins have firm rounded tops and a toothpick inserted in the center of one muffin comes out with a few moist crumbs attached.
6. Set the pan on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Gently rock each muffin back and forth to release and remove it from the pan. Cool the muffins for 5 minutes more on the rack before serving. If storing or freezing the muffins, cool completely before sealing in an airtight container or in freezer-safe plastic bags. The muffins will stay fresh for up to 2 days at room temperature or up to 3 months in the freezer.