Monday, March 20, 2017

Around OakMeadows


It was a lovely foggy morning today.  I love the hushed quiet of the fog and the way things are hidden. And the sunrise was exquisite with the sun glowing peach through the mist.  Even the morning choir of blackbirds was hushed.  

It is so beautiful to see the new green leaves on the trees and the misty green corn and rice fields as the plants are just coming up. The milkweed is coming back from the winter freeze and JMM counted 12 Monarch caterpillars. He has been planting milkweed, Mexican heather, and blue mist flowers all along the path and in the flower beds.  Yesterday I saw a skipper but wasn't able to identify it.  

Speaking of butterflies, JMM and I are planning to make a gift to the National Butterfly Center. I have started a savings fund toward it. Since we will have no grandchildren to provide educational funds for, I want the National Butterfly Center to be our legacy to the future. 

I am making progress on the Sampler Quilt top. Today I started sewing the block strips to the lattice strips. I may be able to finish the top tomorrow. Then I will measure it and make the backing. Unless I find something else, that will finish up all of my UFOs (UnFinished Objects.) I have determined the pattern for the next quilt which will be made from my fabric stash. Also I want to go through the stash and iron everything that is wadded up so that I can fold it all and arrange it by colors. I do not plan to buy any more fabric unless it is needed for backing. 

Last night I re-watched The Blind Side; I really like that movie. Tonight I plan to start watching The Americans. I am reading 3 books: Lindbergh by A.Scott Berg, At the Edge of the Orchard by Tracy Chevalier, and Climate Change and the Health of Nations by Anthony J. McMichael. All are very good although I must admit that the more I read about Lindbergh, the less I like him. 

Now to make scrambled eggs, Canadian bacon, and toast for dinner. 

2 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello, Your sunrise sounds lovely. We tried to plant milkweed and it did not grow. :(

It is wonderful you plan on leaving a gift to the National Butterfly Center. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

Florence said...

Hi Eileen! I wish I were a better photographer so that I could photograph the beautiful sunrise. We are planting lots of milkweed for the butterflies. This is the first year we have planted the blue mist flowers but have great hope that it will be a good nectar source too.
Thanks for stopping by. Hope you have a lovely week.