Tuesday, January 5, 2016

January Around OakMeadows

Around OakMeadows

Winter has finally arrived here on the Texas Gulf Coast. Lows about 35-40 and highs around 55. The lovely thing is that we have had sunshine and low humidity.  Just near perfect! 

I had my follow-up visit with the surgeon and all is well. My hernia was repaired using a laparoscopic robot. It took me about two weeks to fully recuperate. I'm glad to have it over. 

We went to see The Big Short and it was excellent. I was worried that JMM and TSMR wouldn't find it as interesting as I would but they really enjoyed it too.  It is about how the Wall Street bankers nearly brought down the economy which led to the financial meltdown in 2008. 

I finished two really good books last week. Wildwood: A Journey through Trees by Roger Deakins. The best parts were his travels through Australia and then through Kyrgyzstan.  The second book was Nagasaki: Life after Nuclear War which followed the lives of 5 men and women who survived the atomic bomb in Nagasaki. It was horrible/fascinating/interesting. 

We are overrun by goldfinches these days.  There are about 50 in the ravenous flock that keeps me busy filling feeders.  We also have a pair of noisy bluejays who seem to think that all the peanuts are theirs.  Cardinals and sparrows. We still have one hummingbird who is evidently going to stay here for the winter.  We still have some salvia and a bottlebrush bush blooming in a protected southern corner and of course I keep the feeder filled for him. 

I am trying my best to get the binding on the baby quilt because I have the fabric and pattern all ready for the next quilt.  I won't let myself touch the next quilt until this one is finished.  

Well, that's about all the news from OakMeadows where the cats sleep on their own electric blanket and the people do too. 

2 comments:

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Lucky kitties! That last sentence made me laugh . Oak meadows Home Companion could be the next big NPR hit you know .... garrison is retiring again!

Rambling Woods said...

I have two heated cat pads..