Monday, June 29, 2015

Around OakMeadows





Just looking over some of the Yosemite pictures.  It was so beautiful and so peaceful. Next year we are going to Yellowstone. 

I am finally over my month long cold and my energy levels are back to normal. Yea for that!!

I have seen a few butterflies--1 Monarch on the milkweed and 1 Gulf fritillary on the clematis but nothing like what we usually have. Maybe it was the month of rain we had in May. I don't know. 

My baby quilt is coming along. I have the blocks together and tomorrow I plan to put the borders on it.  Then I need to buy the batting and find a fabric for the back. 

I am reading A Passion for Nature: The Life of John Muir by Donald Worster.  So far it is very interesting. The author takes the time and effort to place Muir in the culture of the time and it makes him a much more human person. Joe and I are still reading The Weight Brothers by David McCullough and finding it just fascinating. I'm listening to The Beautiful Mystery by Louise Penny. It is an Armand Garmache murder mystery. So far so good. 

Every morning when I take the birdseed out, I have a pair of cardinals and a pair of woodpeckers waiting for me.  I didn't know woodpeckers liked peanuts so much!  There are also some squirrels waiting for me to bring their morning repast too. Our nightly visitors include raccoons, possums, and deer. 

Our sweet daughter came over this afternoon and we enjoyed a visit and made chocolate chip 
cookies. I wonder how many times we have bakes cookies together? Must be in the hundreds, if not thousands of times. You know when you are in the middle of child rearing, you wonder if you are doing anything right or if everything you do is wrong. But somehow we all got through it and what a wonderful person she is. 

We have had no rain for long enough now that Joe has been able to get everything mowed. It looks so nice now and the crepe myrtles are beginning to bloom too.  We have another set of barn swallow babies in a nest on the front porch and  of course that is a mess but so worth it when we get to see the babies learn to fly. 

That's all the news from OakMeadows where the cats are all lap cats and the people are all retired. 

5 comments:

Hattie said...

Nice photos of Yosemite. You look very good!

Florence said...

Hattie, I wish I did look that good! The photo is of Joe and our daughter.

betty-NZ said...

This is one of very few places I always wanted to see but never got to. Your photos are just awesome and I'm sure the scenery never gets hard to look at!

eileeninmd said...

Hello, I love your photos of Yosemite. I love visiting Yellowstone too, our national parks are all awesome places to visit. I use to see the woodpeckers waiting for the peanuts too. Enjoy your day! Happy 4th of July to you and yours.

Rambling Woods said...

Putting this book on my list too