Tuesday, March 10, 2015

March Around Oak Meadows


Around OakMeadows

Rain, rain, and more rain. The ditches are full, the creek is high, and all the grass, trees, shrubs, and windflowers are thoroughly watered.  This is such good timing for the wild flowers which should start blooming within a couple of weeks. We have a few Indian Paint Brushes on our property that are blooming now. But the explosion of color around the Texas Hill Country is a couple of weeks from now. I hope we can take a nice weekday drive to see them. 

I have had a head cold for a week.  This is the first cold I have had since before I retired 4 years ago so I can't really complain. I think I am beginning to get over it. The most annoying thing is that I can't lie down; I have to sleep in the recliner or I start coughing. Anyway, I was able to sleep propped up on pillows in bed for about half the night last night. We didn't get to go to the Houston Symphony Thursday because I didn't want to spread my misery around. I hope to be well enough by Friday to go to our monthly lunch with the relatives.  We shall see.

I am working on Block #13 of the monster quilt. 43 more to go.

I finished Wartime Britain by Juliette Gardiner and it was excellent. I will try to get a review up about it this week. If you are interested in WW II and especially the home front in Great Britain, this is a must read.  On the other end of the scale is Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah. I decided to listen to it on audio because her last book The Nightingale was fantastic. This one is not. Shallow, stereotypes, and dated. I doubt if I finish it. I am reading Eisenhower in War and Peace by Jean Edward Smith with the History Group on GoodReads. It is excellent and I am very much enjoying the group discussion. 

Cooking has been a bit sketchy since I've had this cold. I didn't feel like cooking for one thing and another is that when I'm all stobbed ub, nothing tastes right...except Blue Bell Chocolate ice cream. I did make a pot of Beef & Barley soup and that was good. And today I'm going to make an old stand-by, Chicken-Rice Bake, which is easy and filling and we get at least two meals from it. 

Haven't been out because of rain and my head cold.  JMM has take over the bird feeders. We still have a few goldfinches but they will probably leave by the end of the month.  Mockingbirds are aggressively defending their territories.

That's about all from OakMeadows.  I will be very glad when I can take my head out of the Kleenex box. 

4 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

Rain, dark skies, gloomy gray...and a head cold to boot.

Hope you're feeling better. A little sunshine will do us both a world of good. Some day soon, I hope.

Hattie said...

Hope you are feeling better. A trip to Cuba and Mexico and then coming home to house guests who stayed for a week and just left day before yesterday had me totally wiped out. Getting old for all this but don't like to slow down but am forced to anyway, when the body says that's enough!
I feel disrupted about cooking right now, too. Don't know why.

Florence said...

Thank you, Anni! I am feeling better and just this afternoon, I saw a bit of blue sky. That will help as much as anything!

Rambling Woods said...

Glad you are feeling better..the rainy season here usually gives me sinus problems but after the winter, I make take it with more grace...Michelle